History of hoople
The Beginning of Hoople ~
The first day of November 1889, a plan for the town site of Hoople east of the forthcoming rail road had begun. Allen Hoople sold a half interest to C. D. Lord and James Douglas of Park River, they were very prominent and able Walsh County citizens and would assist him in making the village of Hoople 'boom'. On the 30th day of September, 1890, Allen Hoople, C. D. Lord and James Douglas, owners and proprietors of the town site platted east of the railroad, known as the first addition, donated and dedicated to public use forever all the streets and avenues as disclosed. The 3 men platted the second addition in May of 1897, thus being a strip of land north of the original town site, and put the lots on the market. Other additions to Hoople in the early years were the third addition platted in June, 1920 and donated by Allen and Emma Hoople, and the fourth addition came in September 1947 by Wilford and Isabelle Anderson. Allen Hoople donated the land of the city park and cemetery, with the earliest burials noted being in 1893 and 1894 of Mary Hurtt, Mary Ann Parsonage and Dorcas Ritchey.
Settlement had begun in this area in the late 1870's, the settlers came from Canada, Norway, British Isles as well as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and other states. This area of the Red River Valley furnished them with water from the Park River and its branches, the wooded area gave them shelter as well as fuel. The land was level, beautiful and would be productive.
The village was a busy place in those early years boasting of several businesses such as a hotel, livery barn with feed stable, elevators, lumberyard, blacksmith, a furniture and casket store, machinery and hardware store, a physician, an attorney, barber shop, drugstore, millinery shop, a general store, a dressmaker, confectionery store, fresh meats delivered to your door, a public library, power plant, telephone switchboard, newspaper, daily mail and a daily stage to Grafton, the fare being fifty cents. The Modern Woodman Hall was built in 1899 and was very much a community place for many events. January of 1899, Hoople had an orchestra with H. W. Bunn as the leader! Nels Folson planted the first potatoes used for commercial use in 1905 and built the first potato warehouse in the state in 1906.
Allen Hoople was nominated in 1891 as a candidate for mayor, it was moved and seconded that Mr. Hoople be the first Democratic Mayor and there was no opposition. He was elected!
The post office became established in 1890 with Merritt B. Bronson as Postmaster, followed by his son in law, Allen Hoople, Henry Hendrickson and Adam Patterson respectively in those first years. The first school opened in 1882 with a Miss Deschene as the teacher. The first school building in the village was in 1891. The Methodists were the first church denomination to form and the Presbyterians were the first to build their church in 1891. The Lutheran church was organized in 1914.
Hoople was incorporated into a village in 1898. The first village board was:
President - E. J. McMurray
Trustee - H. W. Bunn
Trustee - E. P. Diment
Clerk – C. Ekeberg
Justice of the Peace – A. Hoople
Treasurer – R. Torgerson
Assessor – Frank Francis
Marshal – J. E. Flanegan